Archery World Cup

Bangladesh to go for glory

Sports Correspondent

5 May, 2019 12:00 AM printer

Bangladesh to go for glory

Bangladesh Archery Federation Vice-President Anisur Rahman Dipu, centre, briefs journalists during a press conference at in the capital on Saturday. — BAF Photo

Bangladesh archery team will leave for Shanghai early today to take part in stage two of Archery World Cup 2019.

Bangladesh Archery Federation (BAF) has picked seven archers for the event scheduled for May 6-11.

Veteran archers Roman Sana, Md Tamimul Islam, Emdadul Haque Milon and newcomer Md Hakim Ahmed Rubel will compete in men’s recurve. Beauty Roy will take part in women’s recurve.

Asim Kumar Das and Susmita Bonik will participate in men’s and women’s compound divisions.

The archers were selected through various tests under the supervision of head Coach Martin Frederick, BAF Vice-President Anisur Rahman Dipu told the media in Dhaka on Saturday.

Frederick said that Roman and Beauty passed the performance tests setting new national records.

City Group Brand Manager Rubaiet Ahmed, and assistant general secretaries Rashiduzzaman Serniabat and Md Kamrul Islam were also present at the media briefing.

Around 300 archers from 14 countries will compete in recurve and compound divisions in the seven-day competition in China.

Men’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s singles, and mixed team were included in the recurve division while men’s singles, women’s singles and mixed team were included in the compound division in ranking and elimination rounds.

Seventy-metre is fixed as recurve shooting distance and 50-metre for compound.

Last year, Bangladesh took part in its first-ever stage 4 of Archery World Cup in Germany. Roman ranked 17thin men’s recurve (single) while Asim and Bonya Akter reached the eighthspot in the compound team division.


Top