Four individuals, including a police officer and three civilians, died in a suicide attack near a Balochistan Constabulary truck in Quetta’s Baleli area on Wednesday, officials said.
The media coordinator for the Balochistan Health Department, Dr Waseem Baig, confirmed the number of fatalities.
Quetta Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIGP) Ghulam Azfar Mahesar told reporters at the site of the attack that the explosion took place near a police truck which was on its way to provide security to polio workers.
“Due to the impact [of the blast], the vehicle toppled and fell into a ditch,” he stated.
The official said that a total of three vehicles were hit in the blast — the police truck, a Suzuki Mehran and a Toyota Corolla. “Looking at the crime scene and given that the truck toppled, it is estimated that 25 kilogrammes of explosives were used [in the blast].”
Mahesar added that the wounded have been moved to the Civil Hospital Quetta.
The official later told AFP that the deceased civilians included a child and a woman. This was corroborated Dawn.com’s reporter at the scene.
Today’s blast comes a day after the militant group called off its ceasefire with the government and asked its combatants to carry out attacks across the country.
Earlier, Quetta Senior Superintendent of Police (Operations) Abdul Haq Umrani told Dawn.com that the blast site had been cordoned off and an investigation had begun.
Balochistan Chief Minister Abdul Quddus Bizenjo instructed authorities to provide the injured persons best treatment facilities.
He also promised that such “cowardly acts” would not dampen Balochistan’s determination to establish peace. “All the elements involved in the incident will be brought under the grip of the law,” Bizenjo added.