Wednesday, 1 December, 2021
E-paper

Wuhan market vendor likely first case of COVID: Scientist

  • Sun Online Desk
  • 20th November, 2021 01:39:37 PM
  • Print news

A vendor at an animal market in Wuhan, China, was probably the first person to contract COVID-19, continuing an international debate about when the coronavirus pandemic originated, according to an American scientist.

Michael Worobey of the University of Arizona wrote “Dissecting the early COVID-19 cases in Wuhan” in the online journal Scienceafter studying public records, news reports, and medical journal entries about the outbreak in Wuhan.

Previously, the first person thought to have contracted COVID-19 was a male accountant in Wuhan who lived miles from the market, did not visit the market, and reported COVID symptoms around Dec. 16, 2019, The New York Timesreported.

Confusion about when his symptoms first appeared was caused by the accountant’s report of a dental problem on Dec. 8 that apparently was unrelated to COVID, according to the Times.

“This is corroborated by hospital records and a scientific paper that reports his COVID-19 onset date as 16 December and date of hospitalization as 22 December,” the study said. “This indicates that he was infected through community transmission after the virus had begun spreading from Huanan Market.”

Worobey wrote that multiple workers at the market had gotten sick with COVID-like symptoms before that, “making a female seafood vendor there the earliest known case, with illness onset 11 December,” he wrote. “Notably, she reported knowledge of several possible COVID-19 cases in clinics and hospitals that were near Huanan Market from 11 December, and Huanan Market patients were hospitalized at Union Hospital as early as 10 December.”

“In this city of 11 million people, half of the early cases are linked to a place that’s the size of a soccer field. It becomes very difficult to explain that pattern if the outbreak didn’t start at the market,” Worobey said when commenting on the study to the Times.

The World Health Organization earlier this year said that the virus probably jumped from animals to humans who worked in the wildlife trade. The WHO discounted the idea that the virus somehow leaked from a laboratory in Wuhan.

The International Criminal Court has suspended its investigation into suspected rights abuses committed under Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's "war on drugs" following a request from Manila.

The Hague-based court in September authorised a probe of the campaign that has left thousands of people dead, saying it resembled an illegitimate and systematic attack on civilians.

Duterte was elected in 2016 on a campaign promise to get rid of the Philippines' drug problem, openly ordering police to kill drug suspects if officers' lives were in danger.

At least 6,181 people have died in more than 200,000 anti-drug operations conducted since July 2016, according to the latest official data released by the Philippines.

ICC prosecutors in court papers estimate the figure to be between 12,000 and 30,000 dead.

According to court documents, Philippine ambassador Eduardo Malaya requested a deferral.

"The prosecution has temporarily suspended its investigative activities while it assesses the scope and effect of the deferral request," ICC prosecutor Karim Khan wrote in a court notification dated November 18.

He said the prosecution would request additional information from the Philippines.

Duterte pulled Manila out of the ICC in 2019 after it launched a preliminary probe, but the court says it has jurisdiction over crimes committed while the Philippines was still a member.

After long refusing to admit the court had any power to intervene and refusing to cooperate, Duterte backtracked in October to say he would prepare his defence.

In his letter requesting a deferral, ambassador Malaya said the Philippine government was investigating the alleged crimes against humanity committed during the drug war.

He said the Philippine government "has undertaken, and continues to undertake, thorough investigations of all reported deaths during anti-narcotic operations in the country".

Human Rights Watch dismissed the claim that the Philippines' existing domestic mechanisms afford citizens justice as "absurd" and an attempt to stave off the ICC probe.

"Only 52 out of thousands of killings are in early stages of investigation. Despite many clear-cut cases of murder, no charges have even been filed," the rights group's Asia director Brad Adams tweeted Saturday.

"The reality is that impunity is the norm under President Duterte, which is why the ICC needs to investigate. Let's hope the ICC sees through the ruse that it is."

Source: webmd.com