A 40-year-old woman was killed in Khulna city Sunday as the gas cylinder in her house exploded.
The deceased, identified as Shraboni Begum, was from the city's Iqbalnagar, Ashraful Alam, officer-in-charge of Khulna Sadar Police Station, confirmed.A gas leak from a cylinder erupted in flames when the woman was cooking in the kitchen.
Shraboni, who was alone in the house at that time, got locked inside and could not escape as the fire engulfed the house within a few seconds on the second floor of a building in Iqbalnagar's Karimabad Colony, Mujibur Rahman, in-charge of Tutpara Fire Service, said.
Five units of fire service rushed to the spot and it took them 20 minutes to put off the flames.
Shraboni suffered severe burn injuries and her husband Shahidul Islam was not at home at the time of the incident. The firefighters rescued the woman and rushed her to Khulna Medical College Hospital where she was declared dead upon arrival, Mujibur said.