Thursday, 2 December, 2021

Attacks on Hindus

SPs of Feni, Rangpur transferred

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 19 October, 2021 12:00 AM
  • Print news
SPs of Feni,  Rangpur transferred

Popular News

In a prompt action, the government transferred Superintendents of Police of Rangpur and Feni on Monday following the recent attacks on houses and business establishments of Hindus in the two districts.

The move came on the heels of the recent incidents of communal violence in the districts, highly-placed sources said.

Rangpur District SP Biplob Kumar Sarker was transferred to Dhaka Metropolitan Police. He was replaced by Ferdous Ali Chowdhury, an assistant inspector general (AIG) of Police Headquarters (PHQ).

SP of Feni Khandaker Nurnabi was replaced by AIG Abdullah Al Mamun while Nurnabi was transferred to PHQ.

Communal forces carried out attacks on some temples and shops of Hindus in Feni on Saturday night.

They also vandalised the houses and shops and looted cash and valuables during the attacks.

An official circular says the government has also given new postings to five more SP-ranked officials.

The Home Ministry order, signed by Dhananjay Kumar Das, Deputy Secretary of the Public Security Division, made the transfer.

Bijoy Bosak, deputy commissioner of Chattogram Metropolitan Police (CMP), was made SP of CID while AIG Sohel Rana of PHQ was transferred to CMP.

Besides this, DC Sanjay Sarker of Sylhet Metropolitan Police has been posted to Chattogram Range.

Sources said the transfer order of Biplob Kumar came one day after a group of miscreants set fire to a large number of houses of Hindus at a remote village of Pirganj upazila following a Facebook post allegedly by a Hindu youth defaming Kaaba.

The attackers torched some 25 houses and looted cash and valuables from at least 90 houses at Pirganj.

Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal said they arrested 45 attackers and the rest would be hunted down soon.

“This is an unfortunate incident that took place at Pirganj and those who set fire are miscreants,” he told reporters at his secretariat office.

“The status was given either intentionally or reluctantly, but everyone suffered in such incidents. Our police administration suspected the incident and raided the place where the boy was staying, but the boy was not found,” he said.

 On the transfer of the Rangpur SP, he said it was a routine work. He was transferred as he completed two years as SP of the district.