One Year of Killings of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya

Culprits still at large

Mahabub Alam

6 June, 2021 12:00 AM printer

A number of human traffickers involved directly or indirectly in the killings of 26 Bangladeshi fortune seekers in Libya are still at large at home and abroad though more than a year has elapsed since the tragic incident.

Besides, many traffickers, who were arrested in Bangladesh after the mass killing, are now free on bail.

Although police could not arrest some traffickers, they have already completed investigation into 24 cases out of 26 filed over the incident, said Saidur Rahman Khan, special superintendent of police (SSP) of Serious Crime Division of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police.

As per the request of Criminal Investigation Department (CID), the International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) issued red notices to arrest the six Bangladeshi human traffickers involved in the killing incident in November, 2020.

Of them, Italy police arrested Jafor Iqbal, 39, hailing from Kishoreganj, in Italy on January 5 and Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Uttara division held Shahdat Hossain, 29, from the airport area in the same month while the rest four human traffickers facing Interpol red notices could not be arrested, said sources in police.

The four fugitives are Minto Mia, 43, Shawpan, 29, and Tanjirul, 36, all hailing from Kishoreganj, and Nazrul Islam Molla, 44, hailing from Madaripur.

Police have said the human traffickers have moved from Libya to different countries.

Besides, some other traffickers involved in the heinous crime are getting away scot-free in Bangladesh, sources said.

On May 28 last year, human traffickers killed 30 migrants, including 26 Bangladeshi nationals, in the Libya’s desert town of Mizdah. Nine Bangladeshi fortune seekers, who were injured in the bullet-hit there, were brought back to Bangladesh. The 26 deceased were buried in Libya.

After the incident, a total of 26 cases were filed against those, who trafficked the fortune seekers and were involved in the killings, with various police stations across the country.

The Serious Crime Investigation Division of the CID is dealing with the cases filed in this connection.

SSP of Serious Crime Investigation Division Saidur Rahman told the Daily Sun that with the help of Interpol, they were trying to arrest the four fugitives facing the red notices.

Besides, they are trying to capture those who have gone into hiding in the country, he said.

About bringing Jafor Iqbal back to the country from Italy, he said the person is now facing trial in an Italy court.

“After the end of the court procedures, we will be able to bring him back,” he said.   

On the progress of the cases, he said that they completed the investigations into 24 cases of which charge sheets were approved.

He said that charge sheets in some cases were also submitted before the court while the rest will be placed soon.

On the rest two cases, he said that they were investigating the cases and hoped they would be able to submit charge sheets in the cases soon.

 


Top