BSCIC to develop online marketplace

Staff Correspondent

30 May, 2021 12:00 AM printer

Bangladesh Small and Cottage Industry Corporation (BSCIC) is going to launch marketplaces for locally made products connecting the micro-entrepreneurs across the country.

It will set up display centres and business centres in 64 districts and 76 industrial hubs around the country to support the new initiative of the state-owned organization, BSCIC chairman Mostaque Hassan said.

While speaking to the daily sun, BSCIC chairman and additional secretary Mostaque Hassan said around 10 million micro and medium entrepreneurs are working under the umbrella of BSCIC.

He said the new platform will prioritize the locally made products. “99.85 percent entrepreneurs are micro and small. The remaining 0.15 percent are medium and large entrepreneurs. We want to make the largest online market place in the country,” he said.

Besides, the BSCIC has planned to develop skills among entrepreneurs to adopt the new services at the market place, the chairman said.  BSCIC has appointed a consultancy firm – Dream71 Bangladesh to develop the market place while the Aspire to Innovate programme of the government will facilitate the platform as well.

An agreement signing ceremony between the two was held for the online market place development at the BSCIC Training Centre in the capital’s Uttara on Friday.

BSCIC secretary Mofizul Islam and Dream71 Managing Director Rashad Kabir signed the agreement on behalf of the respective organizations.

BSCIC Directors Swapan Ghosh, Md Alamgir Hossain, Golam Md Faruk and General Manager Shafiqul Alam and Akhil Ranjan Tarafder were also present on the occasion.

Mostaque Hassan said the state-owned organization has taken the project to empower the rural economy through leveraging the existing infrastructure and resources.

“The digital transformation has changed the trends in Bangladesh business sector and elsewhere in the world. The coronavirus pandemic has cast negative impacts on the small and micro entrepreneurs. The BSCIC online market will benefit the local entrepreneurs,” Mostaque Hassan said.

Earlier, BSCIC, an agency under the Ministry of Industries, has taken the initiative to disburse Tk 500 million as incentive loans to cottage, micro, small and medium enterprises (CMSME) affected by the pandemic.

An entrepreneur can take a loan of Tk 1 million without any collateral and can take a maximum of Tk 2 million of loan while 10 percent of the loan in the incentive package has been allocated for women entrepreneurs, BSCIC chairman said.

 


Top