Transport Crisis in City

Commuters continue to suffer

Staff Correspondent

2 April, 2021 12:00 AM printer

Sufferings of the commuters continue for the 2nd day due to serious transport crisis in the capital on Thursday. 

Like previous day, people in large number, mostly office-goers also faced severe transport crisis on Thursday. 

Commuters were seen waiting for hours at different bus stops, intersections and crossings in the capital for transports on Thursday morning.

Failing to get into the buses, many passengers were also found walking to their destinations.

Taking advantage of the situation, many CNG-run auto-rickshaws, human-haulers and even slow-moving rickshaws drivers charged extra fare from the commuters.

In many buses, passengers were seen sitting side by side defying physical distance guideline.

Some of the buses were also seen carrying more than 50 percent passengers, violating the government instruction.

The government asked the public transports to leave 50 percent seats vacant amid the recent surge in coronavirus cases.

General passengers blocked the busy airport road in Khilkhet area on Thursday morning as they were failing to manage public transports to reach their destinations timely.

They also protested the government decision on reducing number of passengers on buses without keeping any alternative choice and 60 percent hike of bus fare, an agitated passenger from the spot said.

The passengers blocked the road around 10:00am creating long tailback of vehicles on the road

In another incident, motorcyclists also blocked roads     

in Shahbagh and Dhanmondi 27 protesting ban on mobile app-based ride-sharing services.

Earlier on Wednesday, Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) suspended operating motorcycles under mobile app-based ride-sharing services to ensure health safety guidelines and social distancing.  Meanwhile, BRTA issued a circular in this regard on Wednesday and sent the directives to the service providing companies.

The ban on running motorcycles under ride-sharing services will remain effective until further notice (two weeks for now), according to the circular.