Soybean oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, rich in heart-healthy fats and may support bone health. It is also versatile and very easy to use. Today we will know how to make some scrumptious vegetable fritters with soybean oil.
• 1 1/2 pounds vegetables of choice (potato, cauliflower, eggplant, broccoli, carrot, etc.)
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 cup grated or crumbled cheese
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh herbs, or 1 teaspoon ground spices
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
• Dipping sauce (optional)
• Grate root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, and sweet potato on the large holes of a box grater. Grate and drain zucchini and summer squash. Chop and steam cauliflower and broccoli florets. Cut corn off the cob.
• If using leafy greens like spinach, add the chopped greens and their chopped steams to salted boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge them into the ice bath to stop the cooking process. Once blanched, drain and chop the greens.
• In a large bowl, whisk the egg thoroughly. Squeeze handfuls of wet vegetables, like blanched leafy greens or grated zucchini, to remove excess liquid before adding them to the bowl.
• Add the cheese, 1/4 cup of flour, herbs, spices, garlic, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Use a spatula to mix everything together so that it's evenly combined.
• Check to see if you can form a patty in your hands and it holds together. If not, add a little more flour to the mixture.
• Heat the oil in a large skillet or frying pan, preferably cast iron or nonstick, over medium-high heat until shimmering. Drop 1/4 cup of batter into the pan, flatten it slightly with a flat spatula, and continue dropping more batter, leaving about 2 inches of space between the fritters and being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
• Let the fritters cook undisturbed until browned on the bottom, for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the patties with the spatula and cook until browned on the second side, for 2 to 3 minutes more.
• Serve the fritters hot. You can also serve it with salad or sauce.