Many people now prefer exotic dishes in our country. One such dish is Italian sausage soup. This soup embodies all the wonders of Italian cooking: Italian sausage, garlic, tomatoes and red wines. Serve with hot bread and salad for a delicious meal. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
• 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 5 cups beef broth
• 1/2 cup water• 1/2 cup red wine
• 4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
• 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
• 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
• 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
• Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage.
• Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
• Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
• Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.