Friday, 27 January, 2023
E-paper

Suspect in Paris attack on Kurds admits xenophobia

Suspect in Paris attack on Kurds admits xenophobia

The man accused of a deadly attack against the Kurdish community in Paris has admitted to a "pathological" hatred of migrants, French prosecutors say.                             

The 69-year-old told investigators he had planned to kill "non-European foreigners" as he embarked on his shooting spree on Friday, they say

The suspect was placed in psychiatric care after being questioned by police.

He is accused of opening fire at a Kurdish cultural centre, killing three people and wounding another three.

The man, retired train driver named as William M., told police he had become "depressed" and "suicidal" after his home was burgled in 2016, the office of the Paris prosecutor said on Sunday.

He admitted that since then, his hatred of foreigners had "become totally pathological", the statement added.