A fire broke out at the Bangla department of Barisal University on Wednesday night, officials said on Thursday.
The blaze started in the teachers' room of the department on the ground floor of the academic building. Security guards brought the fire under control within a couple of hours, the officials said.Exam papers of students have been destroyed in the fire, the officials said, adding that an electrical short-circuit could be the reason behind the blaze.
University Proctor Dr Subrata Kumar Das said, "The security guards informed me about the fire around 11.30 pm. The local fire service was also informed. However, it was possible to control the blaze through our own firefighting system before help arrived."