A newly-married couple was burnt to death in a fire that broke out at a house in Mathbaria upazila of Pirojpur early Sunday.
The deceased were identified as Saiful, 25, an auto-rickshaw driver, son of Bareque and his wife Moni, 20, hailing from of Mathbaria's Pashchim College Road area.Soon after receiving the information, a unit of fire fighters rushed to the spot around 5:15 am and put out the blaze after two hours of frantic efforts, said Mathbaria fire service station master Suman.
Four members of the victim’s family, except Saiful and Moni were sleeping, managed to come out when the fire started at their house this morning, he said.
The fire might have originated from an electrical short circuit, he said, adding that Saiful and Moni tied the knot three months ago.
The loss in the fire has been estimated at Tk 4 lakh.