Rifat murder: Court delivering verdict against 14 juvenile accused

Sun Online Desk

27th October, 2020 10:37:00 printer

Rifat murder: Court delivering verdict against 14 juvenile accused

A Barguna court has started delivering its verdict against 14 juvenile accused in the much-discussed Rifat Sharif murder case.

Judge Hafizur Rahman of the Barguna Children's Court  started to reading out the verdict in presence of the accoused on Tuesday morning.

The 14 juvenile accused in the case are Rashidul Hasan Rishan Faraji, 17, Md Rakibul Hasan Rifat Hawlader, 15, Md Abu Abdullah Raihan, 16, Md Oliullah Oli, 16, Joy Chandra Sarker alias Chandan, 17, Md Naim, 17, Md Tanvir Hossain, 17, Nazmul Hasan, 14, Rakibul Hasan Niamat, 15, Md Saiyed Maruf Billah Mohibullah, 17, Maruf Mallik, 17, Prince Molla, 15, Ratul Shikdar Joy, 16, and Aryan Hossain Srabon, 16.

According to court sources, after the testimony of 74 witnesses against the 14 juvenile accused in the Rifat murder case was recorded, the concerned lawyers presented their arguments in the court for and against all the accused.

The eight juvenile accused on bail and six juvenile accused staying in the prison's juvenile ward appeared in court at 7am on Wednesday.

On September 30, six people including Ayesha Siddiqua Minni, wife of murdered youth Rifat Sharif, were sentenced to death by the Barguna District and Sessions Judges’ Court, while four others were acquitted.

Rifat, 22, was mercilessly hacked on June 26 last year by a group of individuals in broad daylight in Barguna town, even as his wife Minni tried to save him.

He succumbed to his injuries at Barisal Sher-e-Bangla Medical College Hospital later in the evening.

The next day, Rifat’s father filed a murders case with the Sadar police station.

On September 1 the same year, police submitted two separate charge sheets against Minni and 23 others, including 10 adults and 14 juveniles.

On January 8, 2020, Judge Hafizur Rahman framed charges against 14 juvenile accused after concluding the hearing of defence and prosecution lawyers.

On August 10, judicial proceedings of the murder case resumed after five months; it had been halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.