Bashundhara Group, a leading business conglomerate in the country, is set to launch the country’s first-ever private sector bitumen plant today.
Bashundhara Group under its new concern Bashundhara Oil and Gas Company Ltd has established the ‘Bashundhara Bitumen Plant’ at Pangaon in Keraniganj.Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal will inaugurate the Bashundhara Bitumen Plant.
State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid, Bashundhara Group Chairman Ahmed Akbar Sobhan and Managing Director Sayem Sobhan Anvir will be present at the launching ceremony of the bitumen plant.
The bitumen plant will be able to produce 850,000 tonnes of bitumen and asphalt annually.
The plant will have the capacity to produce bitumen grades such as Cutback, Emulsified, Oxidized and Polymer (SBS, Rubber Powder) and customized as per client’s required specifications, said a top official of Bashundhara Group.
According to sources, Bangladesh’s monthly bitumen demand is around 42,000 tonnes while the demand is growing at an average rate of 10-15 per cent a year.
As of now, 90 per cent of the country’s bitumen demand of 500,000 tonnes is met through imports. The rest 10 per cent of bitumen is provided by state-run Eastern Refinery Limited (ERL).Built with state-of-the-art technology, Bashundhara Bitumen Plant has the plan to export bitumen after meeting local demand.
Bitumen is a binding organic material made from the by-products of refined crude oil. It is widely used in road construction because it is easy to produce, reusable, non-toxic, and a strong binder.