GENEVA: At least 890 people were killed during inter-communal clashes in four villages in western Democratic Republic of Congo over just three days last month, the United Nations said Wednesday, reports AFP.
“It is crucial that this shocking violence be promptly, thoroughly investigated and the perpetrators be brought to justice,” UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said in a statement.The UN rights office said it had been informed by “credible sources” that at least 890 people were killed between December 16 and 18 in four villages in Yumbi territory, in Mai-Ndombe province, “in what appear to have been clashes between the Banunu and Batende communities”.
It said that at least 82 people were also reportedly injured in the attacks, but that the actual number of casualties was expected to be higher. The violence appears to have been sparked when members of the Banunu tribe wanted to bury one of their traditional chiefs on Batende land.
Around 465 houses and building were burned down or pillaged, including two primary schools, a health centre, a market and the office of the national elections commission, it said.