MYMENSINGH: Over one hundred shops and dwelling houses were gutted in a fire that broke out at Shyamganj Bazar in Gouripur upazila of Mymensingh on Wednesday.
Locals said the fire originated from a shop of a businessman named Salam Moral on Wednesday night. Soon the fire engulfed the adjacent shops and dwelling houses in that area. The estimated cost of the damaged valuables is around Tk 100 crore, they claimed.
Gauripur Fire Service Station Officer Md Shahjada said seven units of fire fighters from Mymensingh Sadar, Gauripur, Dhabaura, Purbadhala, Netrakona Sadar rushed to the spot and douse the flame after three hours.
Upazila Nirbahi Officer Fawzia Naznin said over one hundred shops and houses were gutted in the incident. They suspected that the fire might have been originated from the electric short circuit. Administration will take initiatives to provide financial assistance to the victims.
Meanwhile, Lawmaker of the Mymensingh constituency-3 Nazim Uddin, Deputy Commissioner Mostafizar Rahman, Upazila Parishad Chairman Mofazzal Hosen Khan, UNO Fawzia Naznin, visited the place, among others.