The neighbour is the one whose house is next to your house and is close to it. There are some reports which indicate that the neighbour has forty houses on each side. Undoubtedly the one whose house is next to yours is a neighbour. A neighbor is a person who lives nearby. Human beings cannot live alone. That is why every moment they need neighbours.
A neighbour needs to share joys and sorrows with others. A neighbour is sometimes a more important person than relatives and friends. Neighbours can be good or bad. A good neighbour can make your living place more pleasant. On the contrary, a bad neighbour is a curse. Neighbours play an important role in our lives. They are the people who help us in times of difficulty. We have to be friendly with our neighbours and be helpful to them. Good neighbours are also willing to help you if you need them. In other words a good neighbour shows kindness or helpfulness toward his or her fellow humans: to be a good neighbour to someone in distress. There are some qualities of a good neighbour. The first quality of a good neighbour is helpfulness. Helpfulness is the best characteristic of a good neighbour. Because whenever bad things happen to me, only my relatives or my close neighbours may help me to overcome the problems. However, my relatives may be far from me so my good neighbours can provide immediate help. In the same way, a good neighbour who likes to help others will get help in return. So helping each other can form a friendly and harmonious relationship among the good neighbours. Therefore, helpfulness is the best identification of a good neighbour. The second quality of a good neighbour is being very reliable. I can trust my good neighbour only if he or she is a reliable person. Therefore, a good neighbour is trustworthy and sensible enough to not leak out one’s family secret. The third quality of a good neighbour is being friendly. A good neighbour is someone who is nice and approachable.
1. Friendly: A good neighbour will always try to be friendly, available, and approachable. This will help you approach them whenever you need any help.
2. Quiet: One of the important qualities to look for in a good neighbour is whether they are quiet. Raising TV volume and making noise frequently can cause disruptions in a peaceful atmosphere. A good neighbour would understand this and try to be quiet.
3. Respectful: Good neighbours respect each other. This includes accepting each other’s profession, privacy, religion, and personal choices without any bias. More importantly, a good neighbour will respect your requirements and act accordingly.
4. Mature: A mature neighbour will try to understand the differences between you and them rather than exacerbating any issues or misunderstandings. A lot of problems can be easily solved if handled with maturity.
5. Helpful: One of the good qualities of a neighbour is the willingness to give you a helping hand. A helpful neighbour will anticipate all your needs can take care of your children in your absence and can collect your packages while you’re out.
7. Tidy: A neighbour must keep their surroundings clean. They should dispose of their trash responsibly and keep a litter-free lawn or driveway. Clean surroundings will help you and your family stay healthy.
A good neighbour is a great blessing. He/she is more than a relative to us. Our relatives living far off may not be in a position to help us in our troubles and sorrows, but a good neighbour is ever ready to help us when we face misfortunes. He/she lives next door. He/she can easily help us whenever we may need his/her help. Neighbours are the people who can positively affect the most important aspects of our lives, laying the foundation for better health, increased safety and overall community pride, among other things.
Engr Abdullah Al Jannath Newaz, a life
member of the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB)