Saturday, 1 April, 2023

School boy dies of Nipah virus in Natore

  • Our Correspondent
  • 4 February, 2023 12:00 AM
  • Print news
School boy dies of Nipah virus in Natore

NATORE: The 12-year-old student who died on Monday, after getting ill from drinking raw date palm juice, was infected with the Nipah virus, Natore civil surgeon's office said on Thursday.
Siam Hossain of Karamdoshi village in Bagatipara upazila also class-VII student of Dobila High School in Natore, was hospitalised on January 29, said his father Kamrul Islam.
He was first taken to Puthia Upazila Health Complex and later shifted to Rajshahi Medical College Hospital. He died the next day while undergoing treatment there.
Natore Civil Surgeon Dr Rozi Ara Khatun on Thursday said the RMCH authorities had collected Siam’s samples and sent them to Dhaka to test for Nipah virus.
From the results of the lab test, officials of the Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control and Research confirmed the presence of Nipah virus in his samples.
The case came to light after a six-member delegation from IEDCR visited Siam’s family and collected samples from those who came in contact with him.