SYLHET: A 10-year-old boy died in an explosion of a toy-like object coined with wire in Gowainghat upazila of the district Saturday night.
The deceased — Jewel Miah, was son of Moina Miah of Mohammadpur village under the upazila.
Mother Josna got a toy-like substance coined with cables while breaking the stones recently, he said, adding that the blast occurred around 7pm when Jewel was attaching a battery of his father’s mobile phone to the object, leaving him critically injured.
He was rushed to a hospital where physicians declared him dead on arrival, the OC said.
“Explosives often come with the consignment of stone imported from India and those are used in breaking the stones,” he said, quoting businesses and workers.
The body was sent to Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital morgue for autopsy, the police officer added.