Monday, 30 January, 2023

Trader’s Murder in ATM Booth

No headway in probe

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 27 November, 2022 12:00 AM
  • Print news
No headway in probe

Although over three months have elapsed since the murder of Gazipur tile trader Sharif Ullah inside an ATM booth at Uttara in the capital, law enforcers are yet to arrest his three friends who mysteriously fled the spot leaving him in a pool of blood.

As they have not yet been arrested, the allegation of the victim’s family that he was murdered in a planned way remains unsolved.

After the incident that took place in the early hours of August 11, a case was filed with Uttara West Police Station.

Following the plaintiff’s unhappiness with investigation of the police station, the higher authorities shifted the case to Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) about two months back for proper investigation.

However, PBI Dhaka Metro North unit is yet to arrest Sharif’s three friends -- Mostafizur Rahman Jewel, Mohammad Shafiq and Mehedi Hasan – who were with him during the incident.

Contacted, Jahangir Alam, superintendent of police at PBI Dhaka Metro North, told the Daily Sun that drives were on to arrest the trio.

He said, “Our investigation is advancing focusing on the fleeing of the victim’s friends leaving him in danger. We’re trying to know whether they left the scene for fear or there’s anything else behind it.”

“We’re also trying to know whether the friends have any link with the mugger who stabbed Sharif to death,” the PBI officer said.

Wishing not to be named, another PBI officer said they were investigating whether the man who stabbed the businessman was really a snatcher or not.

Anwar Ullah, brother of the victim and plaintiff of the case, said his brother had no reason to go to the ATM booth for withdrawing money on that day as he had sufficient money at his house.

He demanded the arrest of the three friends to unearth the motive behind the murder.

When officer-in-charge of Uttara West Police Station Mohammad Mohsin was contacted to know about the findings of their investigation into the case, he said they were confirmed that it was an incident of mugging, not a planned murder.

On the night of August 10, Sharif, 44, and his four friends -- Jewel, Shafiq, Mehedi and Munna -- drank wine at Nest Restaurant & Bar at Sonargaon Janapath in Uttara. Of them, Munna left the bar around 10:00pm while Sharif and the rest three in a private car reached Dutch-Bangla ATM booth in the same area around 12:36am on August 11. Then, Sharif got down from the car and entered the booth to withdraw some money.

When he was counting the notes inside the booth, a man named Abdus Samad, 38, suddenly barged into it with a knife and began to stab Sharif indiscriminately.

At that time, one of the three friends got down from the car and came to the booth, and saw that he was being stabbed.

Seeing the scene, he ran to the car and then they (he and two other friends) left the scene in a hurry.

Hearing the victim’s screams, some people rushed to the booth and caught Samad while trying to flee, and later handed him over to police.

Samad then told police that he committed the mugging incident due to poverty.