Saturday, 10 December, 2022
E-paper

PKSF working to address economic disparity

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 14 November, 2022 12:00 AM
  • Print news
PKSF working to address economic disparity

Popular News

Bangladesh has made significant achievements in development goals, and this march towards progress continues, said  Palli Karma-Sahayak Foundation (PKSF) Managing Director Dr. Nomita Halder.

However, discrimination, especially regional discrimination, is also rising at the same time and PKSF is relentlessly working to address this disparity, she said at the inaugural event of the PKSF Day 2022 celebrations at Krishibid Institution Bangladesh (KIB) in Dhaka on Sunday.

Citing findings from a recent study, Dr. Halder said 74% of the Annual Development Budget for the "Housing and Civic Service" sector went to six districts in FY 2021-2022, while the remaining 58 districts got only 26%.

Jhenaidah, Satkhira, Kurigram, Thakurgaon, Dinajpur and Barguna each got just 0.20 percent of the budget, which is among the lowest, she added, underscoring the need for addressing this disparity.

 With the slogan "Towards Development with Equity",  PKSF organised an elaborate programme at the KIB Auditorium in Dhaka to observe the PKSF Day 2022, said a press release.

International Affairs Adviser to the Prime Minister Gowher Rizvi joined the event as chief guest via a video message. Secretary of Economic Relations Division (ERD) at the Ministry of Finance Sharifa Khan was the special guest with PKSF Chairman Dr Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad in the chair.

PKSF chairman said the main goal of PKSF is to establish human dignity for all and at the heart of this approach is a nature of development that is inclusive, participatory and equitable. “Apart from economic growth, we are working to develop human capacity as well,” he said.

Gowher Rizvi said Bangladesh is making progress in every socio-economic indicator, thanks to the increase in per capita income and a steady economic growth.

He urged all to work shoulder to shoulder to keep up the progress towards sustainable development and transform Bangladesh into a developed and prosperous country.

Rizvi noted that as most PKSF activities are aligned with the SDGs, the Bangladesh government attaches significant priority to PKSF’s work.

Sharifa Khan said PKSF in the past decade has diversified its activities immensely. “There is not a single aspect of human life – from birth till death – that PKSF does not intervene.”

PKSF came into being as a specialized institution for poverty alleviation through the Presidential approval on 13 November 1989. PKSF officially started its journey in 1990. This is the first time PKSF is celebrating PKSF Day.

Former PKSF chairmen M Syeduzzaman and Dr Muhammed Farashuddin and former managing directors Badiur Rahman, Md Abdul Karim and Mohammad Moinuddin Abdullah also spoke and shared their experiences and memories with PKSF. They were honored with crests for their contribution to PKSF.

 Members of PKSF’s current Board and Executive Directors of its Partner Organizations from across the country were also present at the event.