Friday, 20 May, 2022
E-paper

Couple succumbs to burn injuries

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 26 April, 2022 12:00 AM
  • Print news

A couple, who along with their daughter suffered burn injuries in a fire incident at their house in the capital’s Jatrabari area last Tuesday, succumbed to their injuries on Monday.

The deceased are Abdul Karim, 30 and his wife, Khadiza Akter, 25.

They died while undergoing treatment at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery in the capital.

Their two-year-old daughter, who is also undergoing treatment at the hospital, is still not out of danger.

"Both of them departed this world around the same time. Their daughter Fatema is not in good condition," Karim’s cousin Kamal said, quoting the doctors.               A grocer by profession, Karim lived with his family in a rented house in the capital’s Matuail area. On April 21, the family had woken up to have sehri when the fire broke out. Neighbours took the injured to the hospital.

Khadiza had 95 percent of her body burned, while Karim had 54 percent. Their daughter has 35 percent of her body burned.

Initially, it was believed the blaze was ignited by the explosion of a refrigerator’s compressor, but later police and Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Company said the blast was caused by gas accumulated inside the kitchen.

The house had a Titas Gas connection and an LPG gas cylinder as well, said Sabiul Awal, manager of Dhaka Metro South wing of Titas Gas.

"They used both. It could be the Titas gas pipeline or the cylinder that caused the blast. But no fault was found in the gas pipeline," he said.

Many people use LPG cylinders as the Titas Gas Company cannot supply gas regularly or the gas pressure is too low to use.

The bodies have been kept in the morgue, said Inspector Bachchu Mia of the Dhaka Medical College Hospital Police Outpost.

They will be buried in their ancestral home in Pabna’s Sujanagar following an autopsy, Kamal Hossain.