Sunday, 2 October, 2022

Body ‘forcibly’ kept for 13 hrs in KMCH

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 11 April, 2022 12:00 AM
  • Print news

Some intern doctors at Khulna Medical College Hospital (KMCH) forcibly kept the dead body of a mother after handing over her two sons to police following an altercation over the death of their mother, allegedly due to the negligence of the physicians.

The incident agitated the local people, who staged a demonstration on the Dhaka-Khulna highway for half an hour from 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm on Sunday.

Later, the hospital authorities handed over the body to the family members at around 4:00 pm, 13 hours after her death. Later, police released the siblings.

Earlier on Friday night, 55-year-old Piarunnesa was admitted to the hospital with chest pain and urinal problem.

The victim was the wife of Abdur Razzak of Pabla Karigarpara in Daulatpur of Khulna city. Her bed was in Ward-11-12 on the second floor of the hospital.

Abdur Razzak said that the condition of his wife became critical on Saturday night. One of their sons went to the on-duty doctors and requested them to see her, but they did not come.

"The doctors told my son to take my wife to them.  Her health condition was so critical that she could not be taken to them.  The medical reports were also shown to the doctors. As a consequence, my wife died at around 3:00 am on Sunday, "he said.

"After her death, my son Mostakim went to the doctors and raised the question of their negligence,   which led to a scuffle between him and Dr. Kamrul Hasan," Razzak said.

"The doctors called police. When the cops came, Mostakim was not there. The doctors then held my two other sons—Tarikul Islam Kabir and Saddam Hossain—and handed them over to Sonadanga Police. The doctors forcibly kept the body of his wife in the hospital, "he said.

Dr. Suhas Ranjan Halder, medical officer of Khulna Medical College Hospital, said that the body of any patient is handed over to family members through an official process. He said there was no incident of forcibly keeping the body.

On the police issue, he said that they called the police to bring the situation under control.

"Two sons of the deceased were handed over to police, but we did not lodge any complaint against them, "he said.