Sarbadaliya Chhatra Oikya Parishad on Sunday staged a demonstration by blocking Nilkhet intersection of the capital, demanding an extension of the age limit for government job entry.
About two hours after the start of the blockade, police dispersed the demonstrators with a baton charge, which left at least eight to 10 students injured, according to locals and leaders of the organisation.
Denying the allegation, SM Kaium, Officer-in-Charge (OC) of New Market Police Station, said police did not chase or baton charge them.
They left the place after police convinced them of the fact that vehicular movement got halted for their blockade, he said.
Job seekers under the banner of Sarbadaliya Chhatra Oikya Parishad took to the street around 10:30am and kept it blocked until 12:30pm to press home their four-point demands, including extension of age limit for the government jobs.
Their other demands include eradication of corruption from the government recruitment process, reduction in application fees for all jobs and stopping to hold more than one recruitment test a day.
Demonstrators said they had earlier staged demonstration to press home their demands several times, but did not get any response from the authorities concerned.
They alleged that police baton charged them and about eight to 10 demonstrators got wounded, they said.
Demonstrators also said police arrested six of their leaders and activists.