Tuesday, 17 May, 2022
E-paper

‘Govt working on proper e-waste management’

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 17 January, 2022 12:00 AM
  • Print news

Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Shahab Uddin has said the government is working sincerely to ensure proper management of e-waste and solid waste in the country. 

“To this end, notification has been issued for e-Waste Management Rules-2021 and Solid Waste Management Rules-2021.  The Department of Environment has already adopted a 10-year action plan for plastic management and a three-year special programme to stop the use of single use plastics in coastal areas,” he said.

The minister was addressing a seminar titled “Current Status of Circular Economy in Bangladesh: Problems and Prospects” at Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industries (FBCCI) Auditorium in the capital on Sunday.

Shahab Uddin said a maximum of 40 percent plastic waste is recycled in the country and the remaining 60 percent plastic waste falls on land or in reservoirs, rivers-canals and seas causing environmental pollution.

“Four new projects aimed at sustainable waste management will be launched soon.  Waste reduction, reuse and recycling (Three R) strategies for management have been formulated for environment friendly waste management.  Along with development in the country, we have to strive for conservation of environment and biodiversity and tackling climate change,” he said.