Tuesday, 25 January, 2022
E-paper

80pc bldgs in capital don’t have sewerage system: WASA

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 5 December, 2021 12:00 AM
  • Print news
80pc bldgs in capital don’t have sewerage system: WASA

Popular News

As much as 80 per cent of residential and commercial buildings in Dhaka city do not have any sewerage systems, Dhaka WASA Managing Director Taqsem A Khan has said. 

The WASA chief said this at a view-exchange meeting with journalists at WASA headquarters in the city’s Kawran Bazar on Saturday.

Responding to a question from a journalist at the meeting, the WASA MD said the RAJUK Act has provisions for installing wastewater management system in residential and commercial buildings. But only 20 percent of buildings in Dhaka have this system. The rest of the buildings are directly connected to the City Corporation’s drain. Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) has given them six-month time. If this is not done within this period, DNCC will close these drains.

He said work has been undertaken to set up five separate plants at Dasherkandi, Uttara, Rayer Bazar, Mirpur and Pagla to address this mismanagement. The work of Dasherkandi plant is in the final stage. If these are implemented by 2023, the canals and rivers will be free from pollution.

The WASA Managing Director said that the main goal of Dhaka WASA is to build and maintain an environment friendly, sustainable and people-oriented water management system. To this end, various initiatives have been taken under the program ‘Turn around, Dhaka WASA’ (Ghure Darao Dhaka WASA).

Taqsem A Khan also Dhaka WASA is today a role model in water supply in South Asia. At present, the daily water extraction and production capacity of Dhaka WASA is 270-265 crore litres and the daily demand of 260-265 crore litres is being met by Dhaka WASA.

“At present, 33 per cent of the total water produced by Dhaka WASA is collected from surface sources,” Taqsem A Khan said, adding that 67 per cent water is coming from underground sources. “By 2023, 70 percent of the water supplied to Dhaka city will come from surface water sources. The remaining 30 percent will be from underground or deep tube wells.”

So far Dhaka WASA has installed SCDA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) in 156 water pumps. It has the facility to monitor and operate the pumps in the control room round the clock. Water supply system is being controlled through mobile app.

The WASA chief said out of 145 DMAs (District Metered Area) in Dhaka city, 71 DMAs have been set up so far. DMA is a modern system of the area-based water supply system. In case of a shortage of water in any area, water will be automatically imported from the adjacent DMA or if there is surplus, it will be exported to the adjacent DMA.  Also, WASA Link, 16162 is open in all zones of the capital for resolving customer problems and complaints. Considering the traffic congestion situation in the city, three sub-offices have been re-opened to address any pump breakdown within 12 hours.

Describing some of the ongoing projects of Dhaka WASA for environment-friendly water management, Taqsem A Khan said the preparatory work of Sayedabad Water Treatment Plant Construction Phase-3 is progressing fast.

“If this project is implemented, we will be able to purify 45 crore litres of water daily and supply it to the city. With the financial support of ADB, AFD, EIB and KFW, the Gandhabpur Water Treatment Plant has been undertaken to bring water from the Meghna River for purification, through which 50 crore litres of water will be provided daily in the city.”

 “We hope that by 2023-24, 70 percent of water will be collected from surface sources with only 30 percent from underground sources to ensure environmentally friendly and sustainable water management,” he said.