Monday, 17 January, 2022
E-paper

City Corporation has to work in coordination with others: Tazul

City Corporation has to work in coordination with others: Tazul

CHATTOGRAM: Local Government, Rural Development (LGRD) and Co-operatives Minister Md Tazul Islam said that the city corporation has to work in coordination with other stakeholders in the city, reports BSS.

Tazul Islam made the comment after laying the foundation stone of 2.9 km canal excavation project from city’s Bahaddarhat Baripara to Karnafuli River on Saturday morning. The minister said that Chattogram is called the second capital of Bangladesh and it is the gateway to the country.

He said that the development depends on how much the councilors are able to keep the area clean and increase public participation. The minister said that Bangladesh is now a role model of world development. 

Tazul Islam called upon all including CCC engineers and councilors, to work together.

“The government does not have money making machines. The government collects revenue from the city dwellers. Development is done with that money. Citizens have also responsibilities to observe the works.  So, I do not want to get any complaint from the citizens regarding the development,” he added. The minister gave instruction to maintain register over all the vehicles of CCC. 

City Mayor Rezaul Karim Chowdhury presided over the function while LGRD Senior Secretary Helaluddin Ahmed attended the function as special guest.

Speaking on the occasion, Chattogram City Corporation (CCC) mayor said that Bangabandhu’s daughter Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has taken responsibility for the development of Chattogram.

“This canal is needed to save the people of Chattogram from waist deep water. I also have been suffering indescribably due to waterlogging for long. When the work of this canal will be completed, there will be no more trouble in the port city,” he added. Councilor M Ashraful Alam delivered the welcome speech while Raozan Upazila Chairman Ehsanul Haider Chowdhury Babul, ward councilor Shahin Ara Chowdhury and CCC chief engineer Rafiqul Alam, among others, spoke on the occasion.

Project Director Farhadul Alam told BSS that over 25 acres of land will be acquired out of the total cost of the 2.9 km canal excavation project. The canal will be 65 feet wide. A total of TK 1104 crore will be given to the district administration for land acquisition.  The government will pay 75 percent cost of the project while the remaining 25 percent costs will be provided by CCC.

Earlier, the minister inaugurated the road development work of CCC in city’s Ambagan area.