Saturday, 22 January, 2022
E-paper

N’ganj Fire

RMG worker dies, two in critical state

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 27 November, 2021 12:00 AM
  • Print news

A garment worker, who was injured in a fire at a flat in Siddhirganj area of Narayanganj on Thursday night, died in a hospital on Friday morning.

Mamun, 27, breathed his last at around 8:30am while undergoing treatment at the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery, said Inspector Bachchu Miah, in-charge of Dhaka Medical College Hospital Police Outpost.

Quoting doctors, the inspector said Mamun suffered 99 percent burn injuries in the fire. His body has been kept at the DMCH morgue.

The two other victims -- Parvez, 28, and Jibon, 20, were in a critical condition.

The trio worked at Ananta Apparel Garment Factory in Narayanganj.

The fire incident occurred on the fourth floor of a seven-storey building in Kadamtali area of Siddhirganj.

Officials of the Fire Service Department said they suspected that the fire originated after the leaked gas accumulated in the kitchen came in contact with the spark of matchstick.

Meanwhile, a fire broke out in a garment jhut (waste fabric) godown at Kathaltola area of Konabari in Gazipur on Friday, fire service said.

The fire originated around 4:30pm from Khokon Mia’s godown and spread out soon to five to seven more adjacent godowns, reports UNB.