Sunday, 19 September, 2021

Hefazat Ameer Babunagari passes away

  • Staff Correspondent
  • 20 August, 2021 12:00 AM
  • Print news
Hefazat Ameer Babunagari passes away

Popular News

CHATTOGRAM: Hefazat-e-Islam Ameer Junaid Babunagari passed away in a hospital in Chattogram on Thursday. He was 68.

He had been suffering from high blood pressure, cardiac ailment and kidney problems.

Babunagari fell sick at Hathazari Madrasha on Wednesday night. He was taken to private CSCR Hospital in the city as his condition deteriorated on Thursday morning.  Physicians declared him dead at the hospital around 12:45pm, said Hefazat Organising Secretary Mir Idris Nadvi.

Shaykhil Hadith Babunagari was Education Director of Al Jamiatul Ahlia Darul Ulum Moinul Islam Madrasha, commonly known as Hathazari Madrasha.

He left wife, five daughters, a son and a host of relatives, well-wishers and followers to mourn his death.

The Hefazat formed a five-member convening committee headed by Babunagari immediate after dissolving its central committee on April 25.

The organisation took the initiative following arrest of some of its top leaders and cases against them for the violence centring the visit of the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Bangladesh from March 26 to March 28 in different parts of Bangladesh.

The violence claimed 17 lives at that time. Dozens of cases were filed against Hefazat leaders and activists over the violence.

Mentionable, some students of the madrasha staged demonstration on September 15 and 16 last year demanding removal of former Ameer Shah Ahmad Shafi’s son Anas Madani from the post of assistant director (education) of the madrasa.

They also demanded for appointing new Director General replacing Ahmad Shafi for his physical inability.

Shafi resigned from the post of director general at a meeting of the Shura committee in the face of the demonstration on September 17 while the committee also relieved Anas Madani and teacher Nurul Islam permanently from the madrasda.

Islamic Scholar Shafi felt sick after holding the meeting at the madrasa.

He was rushed to Chattogram Medical College Hospital (CMCH) and later shifted to Dhaka for better treatment.

He died at a private hospital in the capital on September 18, a day after resigning from post. Babunagari and Nur Hossain Kashemi had been made the new ameer and secretary general of the Qawmi madrasha-based radical islamist group after the death of Shah Ahmad Shafi.

Previously, Babunagari was the central secretary general and Kashemi nayebe ameer and Dhaka unit ameer of the organisation.

However, Md Mainuddin, brother-in-law of Shafi, filed a case accusing 36 persons including Babunagari and other Hefazat leaders over the death of Shafi on December 17 last year.

The plaintiff in the case alleged that the death was not natural one as the accused barred his treatment and shifting to hospital while also didn’t ensure oxygen support during his critical situation at the madrasha.

Later, Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) submitted a report accusing 43 persons including Babunagari in the case on April 12 this year.