Six people from two families sustained burns in an explosion reportedly caused by a gas leak in Savar’s Ashulia area on the outskirts of the capital early on Wednesday.
A tin-roofed house in Palli Bidyut Kabarasthan Road of Ashulia where the explosion took place at around 5:00 am was blown away under its influence, police said.The victims Abdul Hakim, 35, and his wife Adori Khatun, 30, Awal Islam, 35, his wife Renu Begum, 28, and their daughter Afia, 9, and Afroza Begum, 35 are now undergoing treatment at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.
Jamal Uddin, who took them to hospital, said, “I was still asleep in the morning. Suddenly I was woken up by the loud bang and I ran out of my room. I’m not certain how the fire started, but a gas leak might have caused it.”
Dr Partha Shankar Pal, a resident physician at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery, said: “Of the victims, Awal and his wife Renu have both received burns to 15% of their body while their daughter Afia suffered 22% burns.
“On the other hand, Afroza was admitted with 55% burns, Abdul with 23% burns and his wife Adori with 12% burns.” All of the victims are in critical condition, he added.
Jahangir Alam, a senior station officer at the DEPZ Fire Service and Civil Defence, said it is still unclear how the explosion occurred.