‘Fraudster swindles businessmen out of Tk 500m’

Staff Correspondent

3 June, 2021 12:00 AM printer

A large number of businessmen have been swindled out of nearly Tk 500 million by a fraudster through a new cheating tactic, police said.

A CID team arrested the fraudster, Mashiur Rahman Khan alias Babu, 42, son of late Motalib Ali Khan of Faridpur, from Mohakhali in the capital on Tuesday. Sheikh Mohammad Omar Faruque, additional deputy inspector general of the CID, gave the information while briefing reporters at the CID headquarters in the capital on Wednesday.

He said Mashiur is wanted in at least 92 criminal cases filed with various police stations in the country. He was sentenced to six months in prison in a case.

The officer described the tactic of his cheating that he opened the fake company ‘Abrar Group’ on website. He sometimes introduced himself as managing director of the ‘company’ and sometimes buyer.

He set up a well decorated office at house No. 221, road No. 15 in Mohakhali DOHS and appointed some employees, aiming to gain the confidence of his targeted businessmen.

According to the officer, he and five associates collected addresses and phone numbers of various companies and business entities, which deal in essential things and electronic goods, from their websites.

After that, they contacted those owners or officers and gave orders of huge things or goods.

When any interested businessman came to visit their well decorated office and agreed to deliver products, Mashiur made a contract with him or her that he would pay 10-30 percent price in cash against total prices and the rest by a cheque, which could be placed in the bank after 28 days.

If any businessman delivered the products, he or she was paid 10-30 percent price in cash and given a cheque against the rest.

When the businessman deposited the cheque in the bank, it was dishonoured as his account had no money.

Mashiur sold the essential things and electronic goods to his contracted people, who are also businessmen, in comparatively lower prices.

By this way, Mashiur with the help of his accomplices misappropriated Tk 50 crore from a big number of businessmen since 2018.

The officer said some 90 businessmen complained to the CID about the misappropriation of huge money by Mashiur.

The officer said that police earlier arrested Mashiur in Chattogram in 2018 on charges of cheating, but he returned to the old job after getting bail.

He mentioned that they had been trying to arrest Mashiur for long. A few months ago, police raided a house in the capital to arrest the cheat, but he managed to flee jumping from the second floor.

During primarily interrogation, Mashiur said that he was a businessman and he suffered a huge loss in business in 2016. After that, he chose the path of cheating.

Five other persons were involved in the cheating, the police officer said, adding that police were trying to arrest them.

A case was filed against them with Kafrul Police Station in the capital on Tuesday.

A victim, Hazi Mohammad Delwar Hossain, proprietor of M/S Delwar Flower Mills, said Mashiur gave an order of 400 metric tonnes of wheat flowers worth Tk 1.19 crore.  As per the order, he delivered the food products to Mashiur and the criminal gave him 30 percent of the total prices in cash while the rest was given by cheque, he said.

But when he placed the cheque in the bank concerned, it was dishonoured, he said, adding that he visited him and contacted again and again, but he was paid the rest money.

Ripon Shams, proprietor of Jamsons International ltd, an electronic goods making shop at Banasree, told the Daily Sun that Mashiur gave an order of 200 air conditioners worth Tk 64 lakh to their shop.

“As per order, we delivered the ACs to him on October 22 last year. He gave us Tk 21 lakh in cash while he did not pay the rest money,” he said.

He contacted him again and again, but he did not pay the rest money, Ripon mentioned.

“On February 15 this year, I went to the office of Abrar Group for the money. Then, Babu and his associates confined me in their office and beat up me mercilessly,” he said.