Police HQ helps ailing expatriate return home

Staff Correspondent

11 April, 2021 12:00 AM printer

A sick Bangladeshi expatriate returned home from Saudi Arabia with the help of the police headquarters on Friday.

Mohammad Ibrahim, 25, a Bangladeshi expatriate in Saudi Arabia, on February 24 sent a message to the inbox of the ‘Bangladesh Police Official Facebook Page’ run by the Media and Public Relations Wing of the Bangladesh Police, saying that he is a Saudi expatriate and had been ill for a long time.     

Ibrahim, who hails from Teknaf in Cox's Bazar, also wrote he couldn’t get treatment and even return to the country due to lack of money. He sought cooperation of Bangladesh Police to bring him back to the country, according to a statement of the police headquarters.

After seeing the message, the Media and Public Relations Wing of the Police Headquarters, contacted his family and locals via Teknaf police station for details.

According to the people concerned, he went to Saudi Arabia to perform the Umrah. After performing the Umrah, he fell ill and was obliged to stay there. At one stage, his stay in the country became illegal. Then he went into hiding with his sickness. He could not move anywhere due to lack of valid documents.

At one point, he became seriously ill and gave up hope of survival. Later, at someone’s suggestion, he sent a message to the inbox of the Bangladesh Police facebook page asking for cooperation.

It is mentionable that he had been ill for more than a year in Saudi Arabia.

Confirmed into his illness and helplessness, the Media and PR Wing of the Police Headquarters stood by him on humanitarian grounds.

PHQ Media and PR Wing consulted with Mostafa Jamil, a well-known official of the BCS foreign cadre, about the matter and sought his cooperation. Mostafa Jamil is working in Bangladesh embassy in another country.

On his advice, the Bangladesh Embassy in Saudi Arabia was contacted with the sick Bangladeshi citizen. Mohammad Ibrahim got the valid travel documents in collaboration with the Bangladesh Embassy. Finally, he returned to the country on the night of April 9, 2021.