Cox’s Bazar falls silent as ban on tourists begins

4 April, 2021 12:00 AM printer

COX’S BAZAR: Tourist spots and recreational centres in Cox’s Bazar, including the beach, have fallen silent as a result of the closure of all tourist attractions in the face of the second wave of the Covid-19 outbreak, reports UNB.

No tourists who are already there are allowed to enter the beach. The beach shops were also closed due to lack of tourists.

However, hotels, motels, guest houses, restaurants and shopping malls have been kept open on condition that hygiene rules will be complied with. Tourists staying in Cox’s Bazar have also started returning.

Cox’s Bazar Deputy Commissioner and President of the District Corona Infection Prevention Committee Md. Mamunur Rashid said a directive from the tourism ministry reached the district administration on April 1 regarding closure of tourist spots. 

According to the directive, all tourist spots and entertainment centers including Cox’s Bazar beach would be closed until April 14. 

The district administration, tourist police and other people concerned would take action as per the instructions of the government. Tourists were not allowed to enter the beach after receiving instructions from the ministry, said Mamunur.

Besides, all kinds of tourism related businesses including beach recreation umbrellas (kitkats), beach-bikes and jetskis have been shut down. The patrol of the tourist police had been intensified to keep a watch on the tourist centers including the beaches, concluded the Deputy Commissioner.

Nur Mohammad Rabbi, manager of Seagull Hotel, said that advance room bookings at hotel, motels were being canceled due to the ban imposed on tourism.

Assistant Superintendent of Tourist Police Cox’s Bazar Zone Chowdhury Mizanuzzaman said no one was allowed to enter the beach.  Besides, all the shops near the beach had been closed.

Cox’s Bazar Additional Deputy Commissioner Md Amin Al Parvez said, “A temporary shutdown has been declared to prevent public gatherings. Tourist spots, including the beach, will be reopened if the corona situation returns to normal.”

Earlier on April 1, the Cox’s Bazar district administration had announced closure of all recreational centres in the district including the sea beach until April 14.

Moreover, the movement of tourist ships from Cox’s Bazar to St. Martin’s Island would also remain suspended during this period.


Top