Tourist spots closed for two weeks

Staff Correspondent

2 April, 2021 12:00 AM printer

Tourist spots in Sylhet, Cumilla, Kuakata, Saint Martin's Island and Chittagong have been shut for the next two weeks to curb the spread of Coronavirus.

The directive has come from the local administrations of the designated area in the wake of the sudden surge in Covid-19 cases in the country.

Mohammad Altaf Hossain, superintendent of Tourist Police Sylhet Region, said all hotels, motels, resorts and tourist spots will remain shut for two weeks as per a government order.

He also urged people to wear face masks and follow other health protocols.

In Kuakata, authorities have announced a two-week closure of the Kuakata tourist spots.

Deputy Commissioner (DC) of Patuakhali Matiul Islam Chowdhury made the announcement yesterday evening. The order will remain in force from April 1 to April 15.

Following the directive, all residential hotels and motels in Kuakata have cancelled their advance bookings. All food shops have also been instructed to remain closed.

With coronavirus infections on the rise in the second wave across the country, the government has instructed for the highest alert at the tourist spots since tourists come here from different parts of the country, said the DC.

Considering that, it has been decided to keep the tourist centre in Kuakata closed for two weeks, he said.

Soon after the announcement of the district administration, tourist police in Kuakata began miking in different areas including the beach at night.

Movement of all tourist ships on the Teknaf-Saint Martin's Island route of Cox's Bazar was suspended from today due to a surge in Covid-19 cases across the country.

No vessel left Teknaf for Saint Martin's Island since this morning, reports our Cox's Bazar correspondent.

Meanwhile, in a public notice, Chittagong Deputy Commissioner Mominur Rahman said all tourist spots, recreational spots,                

cinema halls, theatres, fairs will remain closed till April 14.

Besides, he urged all to maintain hygiene rules on public transports.

On March 18 last year, all tourist spots in the district were shut down to contain the spread of Covid-19 cases. The restrictions were revoked on September 9, subject to 25 conditions.

In the wake of the fresh surge in the Covid-19 infections, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), on March 29, issued an 18-point directive for the next two weeks in an effort to restrict the spread of the coronavirus in Bangladesh.

 


Top