Teen killed by rival gang in capital

Staff Correspondent

31 March, 2021 12:00 AM printer

A teenager was stabbed to death and another injured in a violent knife attack following a brawl between two teen gangs over smoking of cigarettes at Sutrapur in the capital on Monday night.

The deceased was identified as Mohammad Antar, 17, and the injured as Sazu, 16. Sazu was undergoing treatment in Dhaka Medical College Hospital.

Meanwhile, three teenagers — Ferdous, Sazzad, and Pranto — have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the murder. They were sent to Gazipur Juvenile Correction Centre.

Mamunur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Sutrapur Police Station, told the Daily Sun that there are two teen gangs at Gandaria and Wari in the capital.

The deceased and the injured are the members of the Gandaria teen gang, he said.

A few days ago, they (Gandaria teen gang) beat up a member of the Wari gang, he added.

On Monday night, Antar, Sazu and some others came to Forasganj in Sutrapur, he said.

The Wari gang was locked in an altercation with Antar and Sazu over smoking of cigarettes at about 11:30pm.

They also stabbed Antar and Sazu with knives. They were rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where Antar succumbed to his injuries, the OC said.

The police officer said Shahadat Hossain, father of the deceased, filed a murder case against six teens with Sutrapur Police Station.

Police arrested three youths and were trying to arrest the rest of the gangsters, he added.

Nilufa Hossain, mother of Antar, said her son had no involvement with any criminal act.               

Afsar Hossain, brother of Antar, said his brother was a student of Class IX at Rahima Biswas Academy in Gazipur.

As the school has remained closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, he returned home at Gandaria.

“Somebody called Antar at about 3:30pm on Monday over phone and he left home with Tk 100. At night, we came to know he was stabbed,” he said.

Sub-Inspector Mohammad Hafizullah, investigation officer of the case, produced the three arrestees before the court of Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Metropolitan Magistrate Sadbir Yasir Ahsan Chowdhury and sought a 10-day remand.

The court directed police to place the case with a child court and send the arrested teens to Gazipur Juvenile Correction Centre.