No power outage this summer: DPDC MD

DPDC is working to ensure uninterrupted power supply by 2024

Staff Correspondent

19 March, 2021 12:00 AM printer

No power outage this summer: DPDC MD

Power Secretary Md Habibur Rahman inaugurates 12-day Electricity Service campaign on the occasion of Mujib Year on Kisholoy Girls School and College premises at Mohammadpur in the capital on Thursday. Dhaka Power Distribution Company (DPDC) Managing Director Engineer Bikash Dewan was also present on the occasion.

Dhaka Power Distribution Company (DPDC) hopes for uninterrupted power supply in its areas during this summer when the demand is expected to reach 1900 megawatts.

The company is also working to further improve the power supply situation so that the residents can experience no shortage of it by 2024, said DPDC Managing Director Engineer Bikash Dewan.

"We hope there will be zero load-shedding this summer when the demand of electricity will reach 1900 MW in DPDC areas," he said at the launching ceremony of DPDC’s mobile electricity service at its office on Thursday.

“By 2024, we will ensure uninterrupted power supply in the DPDC areas,” Bikash Dewan added.

On the occasion of Mujib Year and Golden Jubilee of Independence, the DPDC has started to offering mobile electricity service for 12 days started from March 18. It will continue until March 30. 

Each of 36 DPDC distribution zones will receive the service for one day.

Three mini trucks will be engaged to deliver the service going from door to door in three of the distribution zones at a time every day.

Bikash Dewan said, "We have launched a mobile service with a view to ensuring uninterrupted and quality electricity services for the consumers during the period on the occasions."

“Three well-equipped mobile vans will provide the services to 36 Network Operation and Customer Services (NOCS) divisions of DPDC in different phases,” he added.

DPDC managing director said the introduction of new technologies has radically changed the quality of customer service.

 Through this mobile service, customers will not only be able to receive services but also be made aware of power accidents, he said.

About the providing of service, he said if one applies for a new connection, immediate action will be taken after checking and reviewing the applications.

People can also recharge prepaid meters from the centers.

In response to a query, Bikash Dewan said, “Due to the meters of different companies, there is a problem of charging extra money in some places.”

"We are working on this problem and planning for smart meters to solve the problem," he added.

Earlier, the DPDC managing director in an interview said, “Although DPDC is currently supplying 90 percent uninterrupted power, the rest 10 percent will be ensured soon.” DPDC will introduce five industrial power distribution grids in phases to ensure uninterrupted electricity supply to the industrial hubs of Shyampur, Siddhirganj, Fatullah, Adamji, Pagla and Tajgaon in Dhaka.

The grids will help reduce the use of costly captive power plants in industrial units.

DPDC will be able to supply 1400 MW of electricity from seven substations to five industrial hubs once the system is introduced, he said.

Bikash Dewan said, “We had the plan to finish the Chinese-funded mega project by 2024 but due to the Covid-19, the overall work of the project has been delayed.”

“However, we are expecting to complete the project by 2025.”

“Once the project is implemented, the capacity of 132kV level will go up to 5,330 MVA and 33 kV level to 4680 MVA,” MD of DPDC added.

 


Top