THAKURGAON: There have been close to 500 cases of fire in the district in the past one year, a government survey has revealed.
According to the survey by the District Fire Service and Civil Defence, goods and valuables worth Tk 2.38 crore were gutted in as many 483 cases of fire between February 2020 and February 2021.Of the 483 cases of fire, 167 were reported in Sadar upazila, 141 in Baliadangi upazila, 55 in Ranisankail upazila, 105 in Pirganj upazila and 15 in Haripur upazila of the district.
The figures include fires due to electrical short-circuits, fires from cooking gas cylinder leaks and those accidentally started by children.
According to investigations carried out by the government department, 53 fires were due to electrical short-circuits, 41 originated from gas ovens due to leaks in supply pipes and nine started by children while playing with fire.
Station officer of Thakurgaon Fire Service, Mafidar Rahman told, “A number of reasons are behind the fire accidents—low-quality switches used by people at homes, bird nests on electric poles and malfunctioning household electrical appliances.”
Adding to the woes is the fact that the department doesn’t have adequate manpower, said Mafidar. “We also need to generate public awareness for reducing fire accidents.”