Bangladesh rolls out WICC-2021 competition

ICT based solution to save water resources

Staff Correspondent

24 February, 2021 12:00 AM printer

A month-long unique challenge competition for the youth titled ‘Water Innovation Challenge Competition-2021 (WICC 2021)’ was launched on Tuesday.

The WICC-2021 challenge competition is jointly organised by Unilever’s Pureit, A2i (Aspire to Innovate), Dhaka WASA, Department of Environment (DoE), 2030 Water Resources Group (2030 WRG), Bangladesh Association of Software and Information Services (BASIS) and Bangladesh Computer Samity (BCS), said a press release.

The competition has been commenced on virtual platform where Kabir Bin Anwar, Senior Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources (MoWR) attended as the chief guest.

The respected Heads from participating organisations- A2i, Unilever Pureit, DoE, DWASA, BCS, BASIS, and 2030 WRG were also present.

The aims of the competition are to find an ICT based solution to help create behavioral change amongst citizens.

It is anticipated to lead to a reduction in water usage and raise accountability amongst industries regarding the reuse and recycle of water.

The result is expected to help the Government to make informed investment decisions for fresh water and recycled water infrastructure.

Ground water, which is a major source of fresh water, unfortunately is depleting fast with unabated and unregulated extraction for industry, agriculture, and household use.

In Dhaka, 79 per cent of the water supply comes from groundwater sources and the remaining 21 per cent comes from surface water sources.

It is estimated that over 80 per cent of the wastewater generated by households and industries flows back into the ecosystem without being treated or reused.


Top