BINDURA: Dozens are feared dead and others still trapped underground after an abandoned goldmine collapsed in Zimbabwe, reports The Guardian.
Six men have so far emerged alive from the mine at Bindura, about 70km north of the capital Harare after the disaster on Wednesday. According to officials, nearly 30 miners remain unaccounted for.Rescue efforts failed to start until Friday, after the generator used to drain the 100-metre long mine shaft jammed and another had to be found, authorities say.
“On Thursday the rescue team tried to pump out the water but the generator failed. They started again today. The hardest thing is that the shaft is 100 metres deep,” Christine Munyoro of the Zimbabwe Miners Federation (ZMF) told the Guardian. “We also do not know what level there are at. They may be trapped in the mud.’”
The government confirmed the incident, saying support pillars had apparently been damaged by blasting.
“A tragedy has occurred at Ran mine in Bindura town,” said Ministry of Information secretary Nick Mangwana. “A deep disused mine trench has caved in trapping several illegal goldminers. Exact number not yet established. So far six miners have been rescued. Details to follow but numbers could be circa 30.