Sinha Killing

Teknaf OC, 2 others put on remand

Staff Correspondent

7 August, 2020 12:00 AM printer

Teknaf OC, 2 others put on remand

Pradeep Kumar

Three police officers were put on seven days’ remand and four others sent to jail on Thursday in connection with the killing of Major (retd) Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan in Cox’s Bazar.

A court in Cox’s Bazar granted the RAB seven days to put the three cops on remand for interrogating them.

The three police officers are former Officer-in-Charge of Teknaf police station Pradeep Kumur Das, Inspector Liakat Ali and Sub-Inspector Nanda Dulal Rakshit.

Judge Md Helal Uddin of Cox’s Bazar Senior Judicial Magistrate Court granted the RAB permission to interrogate the four other accused at jail gates for two days. The four policemen accused in the case are ASI Liton Mia, and constables Safanur Karim, Kamal Hossain and Abdullah Al Mamun.

“The two accused — SI Tutul and Constable Md Mostafa — are still fugitive,” said Public Prosecutor Faridul Alam of Cox’s Bazar District and Sessions Judge’s Court.

Earlier, police took Pradeep Kumar from Chattogram to the Judicial Magistrate’s Court in Cox’s Bazar around 5:00pm on Thursday. Inspector Liakat and five others were taken to the court around 3.15pm.

Additional law enforcers were deployed on the court premises. A large number of people thronged the court compound when the accused were taken to the court.

Earlier in the day, Senior Judicial Magistrate Tamanna Farah issued a warrant for arrest of nine policemen, including ex-OC Pradeep, after taking cognizance of the case.

Pradeep was on his way to Cox’s Bazar from Chattogram, hours after the court issued arrest warrant against nine policemen in a case filed over the killing of Major (retd) Sinha in Teknaf.

The CMP additional commissioner said, “The police officer [Pradeep] came to Chattogram Dampara Police Lines Hospital for treatment. He is now on his way to Cox’s Bazar where he will surrender before the court. CMP officials are now escorting him on the way.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Teknaf police recorded the murder case against its ex OC Pradeep and eight others, after an order was issued by Cox’s Bazar Senior Judicial Magistrate’s Court over the killing of Major Sinha in Teknaf.

The case was recorded under Sections 302, 201 and 34 of the Penal Code at around 10:00pm on Wednesday.

According to the case statement, Sinha’s sister Sharmen Shahria Ferdush accused nine persons, including OC Pradeep.

Judicial Magistrate Tamanna Farha ordered the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) to investigate the case and directed Teknaf police station to file the case as a deposition.

According to the case statement, Baharchhara Police Outpost in-charge Liakat Ali and SI Nanda Dulal Rakshit challenged retired Major Sinha and his associate — who were visiting the area to shoot a documentary.

Sinha and his associate Sifat, a videographer, were dragged off their vehicle despite providing their respective identities. The police officers then fired at Sinha, killing him on the spot.

After the murder, the police officers also filed two fake cases against the Sinha and others to frame them as drug dealers, said Sharmen.

“Not only did they kill my brother, but they have also mutilated his dead body to make him unrecognizable,” added the plaintiff of the case.

On Wednesday night, OC Pradip was withdrawn from duty as the officer-in-charge of Teknaf police station over the incident.

Bangladesh Army’s Retired major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, 36, was killed in police firing at a marine drive check post in Teknaf upazila of Cox’s Bazaar on the night of 31 July.

Later, two people were arrested and two cases filed in this regard, Superintendent of Police ABM Masud Hossain told journalists.

The Ministry of Home Affairs formed a four-member committee, headed by Mizanur Rahman, additional divisional commissioner (development), on August 2.

The authorities on August 2 suspended 21 police officers, including the in-charge of Baharchhara police outpost, in connection with the killing.

The probe committee has already started inquiring about the death of former Special Security Force member and Bangladesh Army retired major Sinha on August 4.