Cricketers reluctant to resume cricket immediately

Sports Correspondent

2 June, 2020 12:00 AM printer

Cricketers reluctant to resume cricket immediately

Cricketers are not desperate to return back to the field immediately despite lockdown is lifted countrywide as they want to observe the situation before making a final move.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) said that player’s opinion will be taken before the resumption of cricket in the country despite they have started its activities on a limited scale from May 31 as the government’s declaration of ending the general holidays came into effect from after the two-month long general holiday, which was imposed to curb the spread of coronavirus in the country.

However, BCB is not ready to bring their players immediately unlike some other Test-playing nation as they have started their training camp on a limited scale.

On May 22, the International Cricket Council published a guideline about the resumption of cricket where clear directives were given about how to resume cricket while ICC also prescribed a step by step guideline of the necessary precautions for the cricketers to take before returning to practice.

Some Test-playing countries like England and the West Indies are starting their training camp but when it comes to BCB they are not ready to rush things at the moment.

BCB began their activities by disinfecting training facilities for the cricketers but they are not in a hurry to resume cricket as they want to observe resumption plans of other countries.

Bangladesh skippers across formats echoed the same sentiment in different media outlets that suggest that they are not in a hurry to return back though they are eager to return back to the field as they are aware they belong there.

“I think we need to see where we stand before making a decision about the resumption of cricket,” said Test skipper Mominul Haque. “Now the situation is quite grave as the virus is spreading quickly and considering the present state of affair it will not be wise to return back to the field immediately,” he said.

National ODI skipper Tamim Iqbal echoed the same sentiment.

“Now the situation is very difficult and though lockdown is lifted we must see another two weeks or 20 days. I do not know what will be the situation of coronavirus after lockdown, we have to see whether the infected rate is increasing or decreasing after the lockdown because it is very difficult to assume where the situation will go,” he said.

“I think it will be better if we wait for two or three weeks and make a decision afterward regarding the cricketing decision,” he added.

T20 skipper Mahmudullah Riyad is not ready to play cricket as well considering he also wants to see how the situation turns out eventually.  

“I want to see where the situation goes after the lockdown is over because if the situation is worsened then there is no chance of cricket happening,” he said.

“If the situation improves then we can start some certain cricketing activities because I am eagerly waiting to start cricketing activities but security is very important to me because I think my family's health is also related to me so I have to be alert in this regard,” he said.