Two Rohingyas among 4 killed in ‘gunfights’

Staff Correspondent

19 October, 2019 12:00 AM printer

Four suspected criminals, including two Rohingya drug dealers, were killed in separate ‘gunfights‘ in Cox’s Bazar, Joypurhat and Mymensingh districts in the early hours of Friday.

In Cox’s Bazar, Abul Hashem, 25, and Nur Kamal, 19, residents of Kutupalong Rohingya camp in Ukhiya upazila, died in a gunfight with Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) at Hoaikong near Naf river in Teknaf upazila, said Lt Col Foysal Hasan Khan, commanding officer of BGB-2.

“Acting on information that a consignment of yaba pills was coming from Myanmar, BGB men took position near the river,” he said.

At one stage, BGB men noticed that a boat, carrying four to five men, was entering Bangladesh territory around 12:30am. Then, the men were asked to stop.

But sensing danger, the criminals started firing gunshots targeting the BGB men, who returned the fire triggering a gunfight. After the gunfight, BGB men found two bullet-hit men lying on the ground and took them to a local hospital where doctors declared them dead.

The BGB official also claimed that three of their men were injured in the gunfight.

A total of 50,000 pieces of yaba pills, one gun, three bullets and two sharp weapons were recovered from the spot. In Mymensingh, a suspected robber was killed in a gunfight with Detective Branch of police in Rasulpur area under Gafargaon upazila.

The deceased was identified as Abdul Motalab, 42, said Shah Kamal Akanda who led the DB team.

In Joypurhat, Aminul Islam Kaset, an accused in multiple cases including abduction, was killed in an alleged gunfight with police in Panchbibi upazila. Acting on information that Aminul along with his cohorts gathered in the upazila, a team of police conducted a drive in the area around 12:30am, said Monsur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Panchbibi Police Station.

Sensing presence of police, the criminals opened fire on the law enforcers forcing them to fire back triggering the gunfight where Aminul was caught in line of fire, the official added.

He was taken to a local hospital where doctors declared him dead.

A pistol and seven rounds of bullet were recovered from the spot.