WASHINGTON: Top US and Chinese trade negotiators are due to speak by telephone in the coming days, but no face-to-face talks have been scheduled yet, US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Monday.
That would be the second call in two weeks by senior officials from Washington and Beijing as the thaw in fraught trade negotiations continues, reports AFP.“We expect to have another principal-level call this week,” Mnuchin told reporters on Monday.
“To the extent we make significant progress, there’s a good chance we’ll go there later.”
President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart last month agreed to resume trade talks after discussions collapsed in early May when the American side accused Beijing of reneging on key commitments.
As a result, Trump jacked up duty rates on $200 billion in Chinese imports but agreed last month not to move forward with another $300 billion in import duties.
He said Monday the tariffs are starting to bite on the Chinese economy, which saw its economic growth hit the slowest pace in 27 years.
“This is why China wants to make a deal….with the U.S., and wishes it had not broken the original deal in the first place,” Trump tweeted.