Performance based management is a modern management system that enforces an institution to reach its goal. This method is being implemented to improve the quality of secondary education in Bangladesh. Performance based management is an ongoing, modern and successful process for the development of an institution’s students learning outcomes.
In the implementation of the systematic management system, the goals of the educational institutions are first identified. Then to achieve these goals, the overall functions of the institutions are executed in a phased manner after reviewing the quality, results, etc. Implemented after a certain time, the process of identifying and implementing the goal is the method of systematic management. When this management system is implemented for the development of a school, it is called the school performance based management system.In order to implement the performance based management system in Bangladesh, seven indicators have been identified:
1 Teaching learning environment
2 Leadership of the institutional head
3 Functions of Management Committee/Governing Body/Academic Council
4 Teacher’s professionalism
5 Student’s performance6 Co-curricular activities
7 Teachers and society/guardian relationship
Performance based management system is the systematic approach to measure the performance of students. It is a process through which the educational institutions aligns their performance, feedback and learning outcomes with available resources (e.g. teachers’ quality, classroom arrangement etc.) and systems to set the priorities.
The executive administration framework is a constant procedure of characterising and conveying the activity parts and duties, expected desires, goals and needs ofj teachers and students. It incorporates teaching environment, instructions capacity and student performance, shared objective and targets which are lined up with the action plan and pedagogical expertise.
It is the channel of providing clarity about goals and also to improve the teaching processes through various methods and learning procedures. The competency, skills and knowledge gaps are also identified through this process which can be improved by providing guidance, trainings, remedial assistance and mentoring to the students at different levels and designations. It aims to continuously monitor and measure the performance standards against the desired goals and objective
Importance of Performance Based Management:
In today’s global environment where the education system is evolving at a very fast pace, it is important for an institution to understand the benefits of performance based management. Therefore, managing student’s performance is the ultimate need of an educational institution. The students are considered as an asset by the institution. The performance based management system serves various benefits to the educational institutions, which are as follows:
1. It supports to provide data to find the skills and knowledge gaps of students in order to improvise them through trainings, remedial assistance and mentoring systems,
2. It motivates students to accept new methods of learning and innovate through structure process,
3. It provides new opportunities to the students for their performance development in their learning period,
4. It defuses the grievances and conflicts among teachers evaluation through proper performance evaluation system,
5. It assesses the student’s learning outcomes fairly and accurately against the performance targets and standards,
6. Students would enable to provide better results because of clarity on their performance targets,
7. Performance based management system provides the platform to discuss, develop and design the individual and institutional goals thorough discussion among teacher and their students,
8. The student`s learning achievements can be identified through performance reviews and can raise their skill levels objectively. It quantifies the learning needs through individual development plans or performance improvement plans as well. The present government is working with a view to achieve quality education for sustainable development of the country. Quality education refers to performance based education which is measured through learning outcomes of the students, their overall responsibilities to the society and to the country.
Gazi Md. Abdur Rashid, Research Officer, District Education Office Secondary and Higher Education, Munshiganj