DIG Mizan yet to face action | 2019-06-15 | daily-sun.com

DIG Mizan yet to face action

Mahabub Alam

15 June, 2019 12:00 AM printer

Although Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Mizanur Rahman faces three allegations, the Ministry of Home Affairs is yet to take any action against him, relevant sources said.

The allegations brought against him on different occasions include death threat to two journalists, a private television channel news presenter and her husband and bribing a director of Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC).

Home ministry did not take action against him although the investigation committee of police headquarters recommended action against the much-talked-about police official for committing various offences, including forcibly marrying a woman and arresting her through misuse of power last year. 

The probe body of police headquarters also commented that the activities of DIG Mizan tarnished the image of police to a great extent.

The report further said the driver and another aid of Mizan helped him commit the offences and the committee recommended action against them too.

Following an allegation of forced marriage, Mizan, also former additional commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP), was withdrawn and attached to police headquarters on January 9 last year.

Moreover, DIG Mizan threatened Nesarul Haque Khokon, a senior reporter of Bangla Daily Jugantor, and Abdullah Tuhin, a special correspondent of Jamuna Television, for publishing and telecasting stories on his forced marriage to the woman in January, 2018.

Police did not record any GD in this regard. The Jugantor reporter said that he had informed the matter to DMP commissioner Asaduzzaman Mia over phone on January 11, 2018 about police refusal to record the GD.

The Crime Reporters Association of Bangladesh held several protest programmes and demanded legal action against the DIG, but to no avail.

A female news presenter too filed a GD against Mizan with Airport police station for giving death threat to her and her husband and spreading indecent comments on social media in April last year.

But, police are yet to start an investigation in this regard, sources said.

Nure Azam Mia, the officer-in-charge (OC) of the police station, told the daily sun that he did not know about any investigation in this regard.

“I’ll be able to tell you (reporter) about this after knowing in detail,” he said.

The female news presenter already lodged a complaint with the Cyber Security Unit of DMP.

DIG Mizan publicly said that he had handed over Tk 40 lakh to an ACC director. Although the anti-crime watch dog took action against its official, but the controversial police official remained out of music.

As per sources at police headquarters, police have no authority to take action against DIG Mizan. “The Ministry of Home Affairs is the authority to take action against him.”

 


Top