Shakib’s NOC drama ends | 2019-03-22 | daily-sun.com

Shakib’s NOC drama ends

Sports Correspondent

22 March, 2019 12:00 AM printer

Shakib’s NOC drama ends

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Thursday decided to hand over the No-Objection Certificate to all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan for the upcoming Indian Premier League, putting all the speculation to rest.

The speculation began when BCB high-ups differed with BCB Cricket Operations Committee Chairman Akram Khan regarding NOC of Shakib after Akram stated on public on March 20 that they had provided NOC.

According to BCB policy makers they were yet to provide Shakib with an NOC for IPL as they are not sure of his fitness after the cricketer failed to sit with the medical team to provide an update of his fitness.

Akram made the announcement hours before the scheduled meeting of BCB medical team and Shakib where he was expected to brief the medical team about his fitness. The meeting was eventually called off in the last minute as the all-rounder failed to come in time after returning back home from the midway due to excessive traffic congestion.

As a result BCB could not give him with the NOC as they had earlier stated that Shakib will require medical clearance from their medical board to take part in the cash-rich Twenty 20 tournament, representing Sunrisers Hyderabad.

Shakib was ruled out of the three-match ODI series against New Zealand and the following two Tests after sustaining a finger injury during the Bangladesh Premier League final between Dhaka Dynamites and Comilla Victorians. Shakib copped a blow from Thisara Perera while batting, and it was later revealed that he had suffered a fracture.

Akram later cleared the air stating that he wanted to say that they had given him NOC to take part in the player’s auction whereas he clearly said that Shakib will join his franchise before the tournament as he crossed the March 20 deadline suggested by BCB medical board to stay away from competitive cricket.

According to BCB insiders, it was a sheer case of miscommunication between BCB policy makers and BCB Cricket Operations that eventually transpired into the whole NOC-drama which kept everyone confused as far as Shakib’s participation in the upcoming Indian Premier League is concerned.

BCB Chief Executive Officer Nizamuddin Chowdhury on Thursday cleared the air for once and all.

“After making a decision regarding his fitness we wanted to give the NOC. Today (Thursday) we issued his NOC on the basis of the recommendation made by the physician,” Nizamuddin told reporters on Thursday.

“It is clearly stated in the NOC that he needs to update regularly about his fitness to our medical team and the physiotherapist,” he said.

“He is expected to leave immediately and probably will take the decision of his departure after consulting with the team whom he will represent in the tournament,” he said.

“BCB Cricket Operations will take a decision regarding him joining the national team ahead of the World Cup after discussing it with the team management,” he concluded.

The home board’s stance regarding the injury management of Shakib despite being aware of his rehabilitation program which began over a week only prompted everyone to raise doubts whether he will eventually make it to the IPL.

BCB did not want to risk him for the last Test against New Zealand despite a slight possibility of him returning in last Test due to his quick recovery. But the decision to not send him down under, only indicated that all they want is to have their ace all-rounder to be available fully fit in the upcoming ICC World Cup.

According to sources Shakib is expected to leave Dhaka on March 21 to join his franchise.


Top