People who are vegetarian often face embarrassing situations both at home and in the restaurants. They every now and then do not find any dish suitable for them. That’s why this week Groove is here with a pure vegetarian dish for the veggies - hearty lentil soup. This is full of veggies and very yummy. Serve with warm cornbread.
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 carrots, diced
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 2 cups dry lentils
• 8 cups water
• 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons vinegar
• Salt to taste
• Ground black pepper to taste
• In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender.
• Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
• Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.
• When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.