Vitamin D, also known as the sunshine vitamin is necessary for one’s overall well-being and it helps to regulate calcium and phosphate in the body and improve your overall well-being. Moreover, enough vitamin D is also necessary for healthy bones.
Dr Pankaj Gunjal, Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon at Wockhardt Hospitals in Nashik, shared, “A good amount of vitamin D is needed in order to prevent metabolic syndromes, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular diseases, respiratory infections, food allergies, and asthma.”
He cautioned, “Those children who are deficient in this vitamin can suffer from a condition called rickets leading to bone weakness, bowed legs and other skeletal deformities like stooped posture.”
How to get enough amount of Vitamin D:
- It will be imperative for you to get enough amount of sunlight on a daily basis.
- Try to expose yourself to the sun for at least 15-20 minutes between 10:30 am to 01:30 pm.
- Make sure to include vitamin D-rich foods in the diet. Eat mushrooms, egg yolks, salmon, mackerel, and tuna.
- Take vitamin D supplements only after the doctor’s advice.
- Take a vitamin D3 test from time to time to check it and ensure that you stay hale and hearty.
- Also, avoid going overboard on vitamin D as high levels of it lead to nausea, vomiting, and weakness.
- Remember, overexposing can damage the skin so be careful.
Source: Hindustan Times