Raw honey is considered a medicine in Ayurveda. Raw honey can keep the lungs and gut healthy. It's a must-have in winter as it prevents infections and increases immunity.
Honey shouldn't be added to hot beverages or while cooking considering cooked honey leads to toxin creation which could be harmful for your health.
Here are five benefits explained by a nutritionist:
- Tea or warm lemon water with honey is a traditional remedy for sore throats.
- Honey contains a number of antioxidants, including phenolic acids and flavonoids.
- Honey helps lower blood pressure, regulate heartbeat, improve blood fat levels, and prevent the death of healthy cells.
- The immune system of the body is strengthened by honey consumption.
- Consuming honey on an empty stomach protects the body from external threats like illnesses.
"Be aware that honey carries a risk of botulism and should not be consumed by children under the age of one," says the expert. According to CDC, botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin that attacks the body's nerves and causes difficulty breathing, muscle paralysis, and even death.
Source: Hindustan Times